What is the Matter with Americans?

I do mean it, though I certainly am not referring to all Americans.

I am writing of those Americans whose narrow, bigoted, emotional, black and white thinking lags behind so much of the Western world. Not merely narrow. Not merely bigoted. Not merely emotional. But illogical, rigid, ill-informed – and religious in an unchristian sense.

These are the people who make atheists and humanists look extra especially moral and rational.

Several things brought me to this post:

First, was my stumbling purely by chance across a couple of interesting posts on "Letters from A Broad." (below)

Second, when I discussed these with a friend, I was directed to information about the recent decision by the California Supreme Court to strike down the state's ban on same-sex marriage.

Third, was a singularly illogical statement made elsewhere that led to a discussion about gay marriage. More about this later in the Caveman Series.

On the basis of our Constitution, gay marriage was made legal across Canada in 2005.

Frankly, I'm not entirely sure why anybody in Canada, straight or gay, bothers to marry in this age of common-law protections and obligations. Divorce, which strikes something like 40% of first marriages and 60% of second marriages is messy, expensive, and painful. As I understand it, marital break-up is equally traumatic in the US. However, I would wish everyone – be they straight or gay, married or unceremonial – the very best of luck and happiness in their love life. I did mean love life – people who are dating generally have a more active sex life than people who are permanently coupled. While I'm about it, I'd wish consenting adults of whatever combination the best of luck and happiness in their sex life too.

The Caveman Series:

Trickery

Illogic Alarm Bells

Letters from A Broad :
Discrimination against homosexuals: why? why? why??? . Why? Why? Why??? II

Also worth reading: A nation of contempt .

No comments: